[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Wolfgang Wegner (WW) wrote:

WW> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:46:24PM -0000, Chris Warren wrote:
WW> > One idea might be in the client software to keep a record of the minimum and
WW> > maximum experienced value and display a percentage/value based on this. So
WW> > you get a scale from 0%-100% for the known limits of the current setup.
WW>
WW> Sorry, I do not think this would be a good idea.
WW> In case of initial startup you get 100% even if there is no signal
WW> at all.
WW> To be honest, I always hate equipment [and software] that lies to me
WW> and hides real values from me, even [or especially] if it tries to
WW> be more intelligent than me...

this has nothing to do with being more or less intelligent or with hiding
"real" values from the user.

let's say, the driver tells you that the signal strength is the number 354.
So what? that's the "real" value. but you can't tell if the value is good
or bad.

you _need_ the information on the possible min/max values.

giving the percentage is just a rescaling (telling you that 0 is the
possible minimum and 100 the possible maximum)

c ya
        Sergei
--
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               /\\