[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

Yeah, I don't think doing some kind of funny scaling in software would
mean anything in the end - part of the reason that I want to write my
own app rather than use the windows ones (besides that windows in
general, and most of the windows dvb software as well, sucks). Correct
me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't really seem to be a good linux app
for discovering new channels (I mean PID searching not blind
searching), storing a chanel list, controlling diseqc, and monitoring
signal strength, as well as sometimes just watching some TV. The
windows apps all have good intentions, but they all suck for one
reason or another.

I think BER is also an important number because if you have your dish
pointed at a sat, but don't have your lnb skewed right, you could be
getting lots of signal, but also lots of cross polarization
interference, and hence little usable info out of the signal. I also
agree with what you said as well, so I guess what it comes down to is
that both SNR and BER are important - try to maximise SNR and minimize
BER.

Andrew