[linux-dvb] Re: Writing DVB Software - couple questions

Sergei Haller writes:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Wolfgang Wegner (WW) wrote:
>
> WW> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:46:24PM -0000, Chris Warren wrote:
> WW> > One idea might be in the client software to keep a record of the minimum and
> WW> > maximum experienced value and display a percentage/value based on this. So
> WW> > you get a scale from 0%-100% for the known limits of the current setup.
> WW>
> WW> Sorry, I do not think this would be a good idea.
> WW> In case of initial startup you get 100% even if there is no signal
> WW> at all.
> WW> To be honest, I always hate equipment [and software] that lies to me
> WW> and hides real values from me, even [or especially] if it tries to
> WW> be more intelligent than me...
>
> this has nothing to do with being more or less intelligent or with hiding
> "real" values from the user.
>
> let's say, the driver tells you that the signal strength is the number 354.
> So what? that's the "real" value. but you can't tell if the value is good
> or bad.
>
> you _need_ the information on the possible min/max values.

Sorry, please read the whole text (including what I quoted)!

I said that it does not make sense to let the application keep track
of min/max values it already experienced.
I do in fact vote for a proper scaling of the values, such that they
are comparable between different frontends.

But, as I already said, one should keep in mind that different frontends
might have different min/max values that should be handled by the
application while IMHO it is desirable for the API to be capable of
handling a much broader range of values than the subset that all
frontends can handle. (To be able to support real professional
hardware, too.)

> giving the percentage is just a rescaling (telling you that 0 is the
> possible minimum and 100 the possible maximum)

Yes, but this does not make the value "portable" between different
frontends (or frontend architectures).

> c ya
>         Sergei
Regards,