Re: Anybody working on gdm72xx?

On 07/01/2014 09:17 PM, Michalis Pappas wrote:
> The wimax.h interface specifies communication through "message pipes", a
> means of free-form communication between user-space and the driver. So
> my understanding is that the library only needs to replace the lowest
> layer (ie ioctl/netlink) with the specified protocol over generic
> netlink. The interface of the immediately upper layer should be
> completely unaffected.
>
> On the driver side, there is probably a bit more work to be done if we
> are to support all operations (rfkill etc), but if it turns out to be
> too much we can always drop them, as supporting these operations is
> optional and it certainly does not affect your code.
>
> Anyway, this is only my current understanding. I'll have a more detailed
> look at all this and get back to you soon.

Hi Ben,

just wanted to verify that the wimax stack does not require any
additional work on the userspace part, other than switching to generic
netlink. Control messages are passed to the driver verbatim.

I need to do some more reading on the wimax stack source, as there are
things related to the state machine I need to understand better, but in
any case I feel like replacing the obsolete communication layer to
generic netlink is the right thing to do.

Let me know if you think of this approach. We can always post a question
to linux-wireless if there is any doubt on that.

Best Regards,

Michalis