Re: Anybody working on gdm72xx?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Michalis Pappas <mpappas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm, I wasn't aware of the existence of the user-space library. From a
> peek through the sources I notice some copyright disclaimers by GCT. How
> do they distribute that library? Who is the maintainer?

[Ben] The user-space library in Chromium OS is released by GCT under
BSD. I maintain it for Chrome OS, but it isn't under active
development except for bug / security fixes. The world is moving
towards LTE. I doubt there is any active development (both HW and SW)
on WiMAX.

> My proposal was to replace the custom interface with the kernel's
> standard interface for controlling WiMax devices (see include/uapi/ and
> include/net/wimax.h).
>
> In userspace, the interface is supported by wimaxtools' libwimaxll. See:
>
> https://github.com/ago/wimax-tools/
>
> I understand now that this will cause modifications from your part. I
> don't know whether the dont-break-userspace principle applies to drivers
> in staging. Also, given the problems I stated earlier, I'm not that sure
> if the driver in the current state will be accepted to the mainline.

[Ben] AFAIK, there is another Intel i2400m WiMAX driver in kernel. The
wimax-tools probably works with that particular driver. I haven't
looked at either the i2400m driver or wimax-tools, and need to spend
some time to figure out the differences between them and the GCT ones.
However, the i2400m driver and wimax-tools don't seem to be under
active development either, so I'm not sure how generic or
representative they are.

I'm happy to help move the GCT driver forward to conform with common
interfaces and practices, but at the same time, would like to be
pragmatic about the approach we take.