Re: octeon-usb and dwc2 in staging are for the same hw

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:33:10PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 06:01:50AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > It was just pointed out to me by Sebastian that it looks like both the
> > octeon-usb and dwc2 drivers in drivers/staging/ are for the same exact
> > hardware core.
> >
> > Were you two aware of this?
>
> It was mentioned here:
>
> 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-driver-devel&m=137028052222213&w=2
>
> At the time, I thought octeon-usb was "more mature": "octeon-hcd was
> written because we couldn't figure out how to fix the dwc2 driver so
> that it wouldn't crash."

Since then, dwc2 has gotten a lot of work, it should be much better now,
if not, please let us know, as it does support more devices than
octeon-usb does.  Well, I think so, given that I can't tell which
hardware octeon-usb supports right now :(

> > As the dwc2 code seems to be the "more mature" codebase, any objection
> > to me deleting the octeon-usb driver?
>
> If it's possible to get it working on Octeon HW, then having a single
> driver is of course the best solution. Is dwc2 fully functional (there
> is no TODO file)? I'll check if I get it working, otherwise I'll be
> disappointed if octeon-usb is deleted and I need to carry an out-of-tree
> driver to use my board. :-)

I agree, that wouldn't be good, making it so that this works for your
hardware is the best.

> > Aaro, as there is no MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() set up for the octeon-usb
> > code, and your module_init() function where you grab the hardware is,
> > let's just say, "odd"[1], it's really hard to determine what hardware
> > platforms this code even runs on.  Any hints?
>
> The driver is only buildable for OCTEON SoC, and the function
> cvmx_usb_get_num_ports() knows each SoC version if they have the USB
> block or not.

That seems "odd".  Why not just use the normal driver probing logic that
the rest of the kernel uses?

thanks,

greg k-h