Re: octeon-usb and dwc2 in staging are for the same hw

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:39:39AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > As the dwc2 code seems to be the "more mature" codebase, any objection
> > > to me deleting the octeon-usb driver?
> >
> > If it's possible to get it working on Octeon HW, then having a single
> > driver is of course the best solution. Is dwc2 fully functional (there
> > is no TODO file)? I'll check if I get it working, otherwise I'll be
> > disappointed if octeon-usb is deleted and I need to carry an out-of-tree
> > driver to use my board. :-)
>
> I agree, that wouldn't be good, making it so that this works for your
> hardware is the best.

Looking more into this (and after a failed testing attempt), I don't think
we can simply delete octeon-usb if we want to keep supporting Octeon:
there's also Octeon-specific registers of which the driver needs to
take care of before/while using DWC2 HW block. So migration to DWC2 is
not simply a driver change, we would still need some kind of octeon-hcd
glue for for it. I guess we should start converting octeon-usb to reuse
code from DWC2, but this won't happen overnight.

(BTW, there maybe be also bits DWC2 could "steal" from octeon-usb,
e.g. documentation - compare e.g. what's being said about GINTSTS or
other regs.)

> > The driver is only buildable for OCTEON SoC, and the function
> > cvmx_usb_get_num_ports() knows each SoC version if they have the USB
> > block or not.
>
> That seems "odd".  Why not just use the normal driver probing logic that
> the rest of the kernel uses?

Yes, this driver is in staging because of multiple "odd" things, and I
am/was trying to fix them. Please accept I'm not the original author or
designer of this driver.

A.