Change in how projects are going to work.

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:18:32 -0700
Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:36:30PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > If anyone has any specific questions about any of the patches in the
> > > above tree about what needs to be done, or how to help out, please let
> > > me know.
> >
> > Ok, looking at the video input drivers:
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/dvb-add-firesat-driver.patch
> >
> > This driver seems to need a major rework. It mixes IR, frontend/tuner and
> > bridge in the same driver. The better is to split this on small pieces, and use
> > the callbacks provided by dvb core.
>
> I agree, it, and all of these need work, that's why they are in my tree
> and not sent to you yet :)
>
> I just got a huge update for this driver an hour ago, and will merge it
> in over the next few days.

Ok. If you want, you may send the driver for me to review.

> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/usb-add-sensoray-2255-v4l-driver.patch
> >
> > - The biggest issue here seems to be having the binary firmware enclosed inside
> > the firmware. Also, we've just found a few bugs on videobuf-vmalloc. This may
> > help to solve some pending problems.
>
> Ah, thanks for the pointer.  Yes, the firmware is the most obvious
> issue, one that is easy to address, I just haven't done it yet (patches
> gladly accepted...)

The firmware is easy to technically address. It is important, however, to find
a way to legally distribute it.

On a quick view, the remaining of the code seems to be fine. Of course, some
adjustments may be needed. I suspect it won't be hard to merge this one.

> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/video-add-the-go7007-driver.patch
> >
> > - This driver also needs a major rework. It has some duplicated drivers
> > (saa7134, saa7113, saa7115, ...), and still uses an old design. The better is
> > to work tightly integrated with V4L/DVB development environment, to allow
> > reusing the existing drivers.
>
> This is an older driver for hardware not made anymore, but might be nice
> to get into the tree.  It's my lowest priority right now.

I agree that it is interesting to merge it. But this will need someone with enough
time to dedicate. Volunteers?

Cheers,
Mauro