Change in how projects are going to work.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:48:45PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Method of Development
>
> When the LDP project was started, the structure of having a project
> manager for the individual project, and a number of developers working
> on each one was established.  Over the past year, this has worked for
> some projects, while for others, it has failed badly.  Some project
> teams have disappeared, including both project managers and developers.
> This is quite common for opensource projects, so we need a way to route
> around the problem of this, allowing everyone to participate in a more
> open model.
>
> To try to work toward this, I've started to keep all code related to the
> LDP project in a quilt patch series.  It can be seen at:
> 	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/
> and is now automatically included in the linux-next daily kernel
> releases.
> This quilt series is contained within a git tree at that can be accessed
> at:
> 	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/gregkh/patches.git
>
> This tree provides a place where developers can provide changes,
> updates, and see where they can help out if they wish to do so in a much
> easier manner.  It also provides a way for companies participating to
> observe the status of their code in a much more open manner.

I'd like to emphasize this a bit more, in case people missed it.

For the majority of our future projects, they are not going to be run in
a "set up a project manager, get developers, etc." type manner.  That
just doesn't work well for a simple project of cleaning up an existing
driver and getting it into the kernel tree.

Instead, I'm staging these kinds of drivers in my quilt/git tree
mentioned above for all to see and help out with.

If you have some time, and want to help out, take a look at the patches
in the tree and work on cleaning them up.  Send me a patch that can be
applied on top of the current patch (so as to not loose anything that
might have happened since you started working) and I'll merge them
together and give you full credit for the work in the changelog.

This should help move things along much quicker, and constantly provide
a place for where people who want to help out and have a short ammount
of free time, to easily do so.

If anyone has any specific questions about any of the patches in the
above tree about what needs to be done, or how to help out, please let
me know.

thanks,

greg k-h