Re: Sphinx parallel build error: UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 18-20: ordinal not in range(256)

Am 07.05.21 um 10:35 schrieb Michal Suchánek:
So the bottom line is that UTF-8 in the files will stay, and Sphinx
cannot handle UTF-8 when the locale is not UTF-8.

In the long run it might be nice to fix Sphinx to properly set the
encoding of the files it reads and writes. Or maybe there is some
parameter that specifies it?

Let's not mix things up. The Unicode-Error is not related or limited
to log nor to sphinx, it is related to the fact that we (you) try to
run a utf-8 application in an environment which is not full utf-8
functional.

For the short term I think it is reasonable to run a python test script
that prints fancy unicode characters before running Sphinx and bail if
the test script fails.

To be assure, I recommend to set UTF-8 locale environment in the
Makefile.

My experience shows that this is the default with almost all
containers (images), there are only a few where this is not the
case (may be suse?).

  -- Markus --