Re: Sphinx parallel build error: UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 18-20: ordinal not in range(256)

Em Fri, 7 May 2021 08:39:24 +0200
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Em Thu, 6 May 2021 14:21:01 -0700
> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> No idea! It seems that the text editor I used on that time added
> it for whatever reason.
>

> > > 00000000  ef bb bf 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d  3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d  |...=============|
> > >
> > > ef bb bf is utf8 for 0b1111'111011'111111 = 0xFEFF which is the
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark
> > >
> > > We should delete it.
> > >

> > OK, thanks, I have started on that.
> >

> > Just another question: ("inquiring minds want to know")
> >
> > Why is/are some docs using U+2217 '*' instead of ASCII '*'?
> > E.g., Documentation/block/cdrom-standard.rst.
>
> The cdrom doc is a very special case: it was originally written in LaTeX.
> I don't remember any other document in LaTeX inside the Kernel docs during
> the conversions I made. See:
> 	e327cfcb2542 ("docs: cdrom-standard.tex: convert from LaTeX to ReST")
>
> In order to convert it to .rst, I used some tool to first turn it
> into plain text (probably LaTeX, but I don't remember anymore), and then
> I manually reviewed the entire file, adding ReST tags where needed.
>
> I didn't realize that utf-8 chars were used instead of normal ASCII chars,
> as both appear the same when editing it[1].
>
> [1] I use Fedora here. Fedora changed the default charset to utf-8 a long
>     time ago.
>
> Anyway, we should be able of get rid of weird UTF-8 chars from it with:
>
> 	$ iconv -f utf-8 -t ascii//TRANSLIT Documentation/cdrom/cdrom-standard.rst
>
> I'll prepare a patch fixing it. Some care should be taken, however, as
> it has two places where UTF-8 chars should be used[2].
>
> [2] There are two German person names that use UTF-8 chars:
>     - 'o' + umlat;
>     - a LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S (Eszett)

Btw, I did a quick check here: excluding translations, there are 182
files with UTF-8 chars at next-20210429. It seems that most of them
are on files that got converted from DocBook and html.

Several of them are valid ones: the ones used on names
(like Günther, Alcôve, ...).

Those should remain as-is.

Several Docbook/html converted documents contain UTF-8 NO-BREAK SPACE
and other invisible chars, like the byte order mark (BOM) pointed
by Randy.

Those should be replaced (or removed for non-printable ones).

-

Now, there are other cases where I'm not sure if there's a
consensus:

1. UTF-8 is used where there's an ASCII similar (but with
   a different graph symbol), like:

	- UTF-8 commas;
	- UTF-8 hyphen chars, including the long ones:
	  FIGURE DASH, EN DASH, EM DASH

   IMO, those should also be converted.

2. Some UTF-8 symbols, like:

	- ®
	- ™
	- ² - used mainly for I²C
	- …
	- ⬍ ↑ ↓
	- µs - used for microsseconds

   I would keep those.

3. There are couple of places which uses UTF-8 graphic characters, like:

        /sys/devices/system/edac/
        ├── mc
        │   ├── mc0
        │   │   ├── ce_count
        │   │   ├── ce_noinfo_count

   This is the normal output of the "tree" command on machines with UTF-8.
   I would keep it.

   Yet, iconv converts it into:

        /sys/devices/system/edac/
        +-- mc
        |   +-- mc0
        |   |   +-- ce_count
        |   |   +-- ce_noinfo_count

   which would also be fine. So, replacing those would be no-brain,
   but I probably newer documents will be written using such symbols.

   So, I would preserve the UTF-8 graphics characters.

I'm preparing a patchset to address the UTF-8 issues on the top of
today's next, but before posting, it seems reasonable to discuss
what to do with the above cases. Comments?

Thanks,
Mauro