Re: How's linux-doc going?

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 2:32:19 pm Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> Rob,

> >> There *is* an ioctl_list.2 man page, but it is quite
> >> out of date.  It would certainly be wonderful to bring that
> >> page closer to up to date (but if you decide to attack that,
> >> let's talk about some details first).
> >
> > I'm unlikely to send in edits to man pages because I don't speak troff.
> > (There's a reason I poke at doclifter...)  I can send you text, though.
>
> Okay.  But you might also find that the basics of troff aren't too complex.
>  (Have a look at man-pages.7, and the SEE ALSO refs it has.)

Back before Bruce ****** Perens made working on busybox intolerable, I had
about half of a script written to generate the busybox manpage directly,
without using the perl pod thing.

That said, I spent several sessions over the past few years helping Eric
Raymond debug doclifter, and I note that currently about 6% of the man-pages
don't convert properly with doclifter due to some error or other that throws
it.

> > I now have three major potential sources of ioctl info (and a couple of
> > minor ones).  I need to read and collate the existing docs before
> > worrying about the holes, and I'm unlikely to get to it this week.  Maybe
> > next.
>
> Okay, that would be good.

It's worked its way up to about #5 on my todo list...

> Cheers,
>
> Michael

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.