Re: linux's make oldconfig: Save in addition to [N/m/y/?], and ctrl-[C/\] to abort

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Regid Ichira <regid23@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:55:08PM -0400, John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell wrote:
>>
>> 2) you can run make oldconfig to get a recycled config without
>> running in text interactive mode [y/n/m]. read the directions.
>
> Do you mean the yes pipe that Tom H <tomh ... gmail.com> was
> referring to ealier in this thread? But you can not get a thoughtful
> config file by that manner. I mean, I don't want a kernel with lots
> of features I don't need. And I am trying to both config the kernel
> AND learn what new features that are of interest to me were added.

I wasn't suggesting that you use the config generated by 'yes "" |
...' only that you use it to list the new config options.

Looking at "make help", there's (now?) a "make listnewconfig" option
to do just that.

Regarding interrupting "make oldconfig", I don't see any option at the
moment except run "make menuconfig", set some options, save the
config, exit, and return to make menuconfig" later.