Re: linux's make oldconfig: Save in addition to [N/m/y/?], and ctrl-[C/\] to abort

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 07:55:51PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Regid Ichira <regid23@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I find it useful to have the kernel configuration automatically
> > pointing out only the NEW kernel configuration options.  Quite often,
> > the kernel's
> >
> >     $ make oldconfig
> >
> > takes a long time.  In particular, when I am trying to find out more
> > information on the NEW features.  The options that I am aware of when
> > in the middle of make oldconfig are
> >   1. [N/m/y/?] (and sometime one of these, say m, is not applicable)
> >   2. ctrl-[C/\] to abort
> > Do you agree that besides it is desirable to have a Save to file
> > option?  That is,
> >   (3. Save to file and continue to configure)
> > This way, one might be able to return to where the work was left in
> > the middle.
> >   In addition, probably a
> >   (4. Quit)
> > is also required, so that one can leave the configuration process in
> > an orderly manner.
>
> You can do
>
> yes "" | make oldconfig > oldconfig-output.txt
> grep "(NEW)" oldconfig-output.txt
>
> to see all the new options.

  I meant the operation after I skimmed the new options.  Suppose I
did what you suggested.  Now I run make oldconfig in order to actually
create a new config, based on a current one.  And that is taking me
more time then I thought it would.  So I want to manually save what
I did so far.  Perhaps there is an unexpected shutdown within 5
minutes. Or I have to spend some time on other issues. Or whatever.
How would I save my current work?
If you'll remember that most editors (automatically) create backups
for the current work every 1 hour, or so, you might better understand
what I meant.