Re: Nested NTFS volumes within Windows SMB share may result in inode collisions in linux client

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:49 PM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would expect when the inode collision is noted that
> "cifs_autodisable_serverino()" will get called in the Linux client and
> you should see: "Autodisabling the user of server inode numbers on
> ..."
> "Consider mounting with noserverino to silence this message"
>
> If this is easy to setup we could try some tricks when we encounter
> such a reparse point - do you have patch ideas for the client to fake
> up inode numbers in this case?

On the Windows server side it's trivial to set up. Just create /
format an NTFS volume (for example new virtual hdd) and add an
additional location (Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Managment,
right-click on drive and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"). This
will allow mounting the volume within an existing SMB share (like a
bind mount in Linux). If you don't want to go through setup and just
want to glance at pcaps of Windows Client <-> Windows Server in this
case I have some I can send to interested parties. I don't have patch
ideas at the moment.

Andrew