Re: Nested NTFS volumes within Windows SMB share may result in inode collisions in linux client

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 5:37 PM Paulo Alcantara <pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew Walker <awalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On my Windows server I mounted multiple NTFS volumes within the same
> > share and played around until I was able to create directories with
> > the same fileid number.
>
> Did you try it with 'noserverino' mount option?  For more information,
> see mount.cifs(8).

Yes. In this case I get a unique inode number

> Did it work with older kernels?
I only tested with 5.15 kernel. Was there a different algorithm in
older kernels that's worth testing?

> Perhaps we could conditionally stop trusting file ids sent by the server
> as we currently do for hardlinks when we see these reparse points as
> well.

Maybe fail chdir with EXDEV unless mount is with noserverino?