Re: Protocol recommendation for CAN(FD)-USB adapter

On 09.02.2024 22:25:37, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> On 2024-02-09 18:28, Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > My team and I have designed and developed
> > a new CAN(FD) adapter based on ESP32S3 and MCP2518fd
> > primarily aimed at ECU firmware reprogramming,
> > but eventually also for the use as OBD2-adapter,
> > CAN-logger, etc.
> >
> > The next incarnation will also have a
> > USB interface and I’m planning the necessary
> > changes for its firmware.
> >
> > I would like it to be compatible with SocketCAN
> > out of the box — optimally without writing a
> > Linux driver, but rather reusing an existing one.
> >
> > Which of the mainline SocketCAN drivers would you recommend
> > basing my USB protocol on? From a quick glance,
> > I’m leaning towards GS-USB, since this already
> > supports different hardware families.
>
> Yes. I would also recommend the gsusb driver and the CandleLight firmware
> project on the other side:

ACK. gs_usb is the way to go for USB-to-CAN adapters.

> https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw
>
> ... where currently the CAN FD support is in the testing phase IIRC.

The USB protocol for CAN-FD is stable and supported by the kernel and
the Work-In-Progress firmware. The firmware can be found here:

| https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw/pull/139
| https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw/pull/176

We're currently discussing the implementation details of the firmware,
but the USB part is, as mentioned above, stable.

> Both the CAN(FD) adapter firmware and also the Linux kernel driver is
> actively developed by Marc Kleine-Budde and others.

regards,
Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                 | Marc Kleine-Budde          |
Embedded Linux                   | https://www.pengutronix.de |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]