Re: Protocol recommendation for CAN(FD)-USB adapter

Hi Michael,

On 2024-02-09 18:28, Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
My team and I have designed and developed
a new CAN(FD) adapter based on ESP32S3 and MCP2518fd
primarily aimed at ECU firmware reprogramming,
but eventually also for the use as OBD2-adapter,
CAN-logger, etc.

The next incarnation will also have a
USB interface and I’m planning the necessary
changes for its firmware.

I would like it to be compatible with SocketCAN
out of the box — optimally without writing a
Linux driver, but rather reusing an existing one.

Which of the mainline SocketCAN drivers would you recommend
basing my USB protocol on? From a quick glance,
I’m leaning towards GS-USB, since this already
supports different hardware families.

Yes. I would also recommend the gsusb driver and the CandleLight firmware project on the other side:

https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw

... where currently the CAN FD support is in the testing phase IIRC.

Both the CAN(FD) adapter firmware and also the Linux kernel driver is actively developed by Marc Kleine-Budde and others.

Best regards,
Oliver

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]