Re: Protocol recommendation for CAN(FD)-USB adapter

> On 16. Feb 2024, at 14:40, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 09.02.2024 22:25:37, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
>>> On 2024-02-09 18:28, Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>>> My team and I have designed and developed
>>> a new CAN(FD) adapter based on ESP32S3 and MCP2518fd
>>> primarily aimed at ECU firmware reprogramming,
>>> but eventually also for the use as OBD2-adapter,
>>> CAN-logger, etc.
>>>
>>> The next incarnation will also have a
>>> USB interface and I’m planning the necessary
>>> changes for its firmware.
>>>
>>> I would like it to be compatible with SocketCAN
>>> out of the box — optimally without writing a
>>> Linux driver, but rather reusing an existing one.
>>>
>>> Which of the mainline SocketCAN drivers would you recommend
>>> basing my USB protocol on? From a quick glance,
>>> I’m leaning towards GS-USB, since this already
>>> supports different hardware families.
>>
>> Yes. I would also recommend the gsusb driver and the CandleLight firmware
>> project on the other side:
>
> ACK. gs_usb is the way to go for USB-to-CAN adapters.

Ok, good to hear. We‘ll go with that then.

>> https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw
>>
>> ... where currently the CAN FD support is in the testing phase IIRC.
>
> The USB protocol for CAN-FD is stable and supported by the kernel and
> the Work-In-Progress firmware. The firmware can be found here:
>
> | https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw/pull/139
> | https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw/pull/176
>
> We're currently discussing the implementation details of the firmware,
> but the USB part is, as mentioned above, stable

Sounds pretty cool. Our design is based on an ESP32-S3 though, so I have to duplicate that effort. Is there some kind of USB protocol definition for what gs-usb expects or do I need to learn that from the implementation?

Cheers,

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]