Re: J1939 for 4.9.88 kernel

Hi all,
thanks a  lot for all your answers.
to answer some question: why using 4.9 kernel:
because we started a project some times ago on a imx6 and we use the
freescale (not community) bsp, which was based on the 4.9 at the
beginning of the project  (now it is 4.14).
and to avoid having several project on several kernel version /yocto
version, we try to reuse what is allready improved and tested.

Kurt, i've found this branch on your github,
https://github.com/kurt-vd/linux/tree/j1939d-v4.9.10/net/can/j1939

shouldn't it be a good start for us?

best regards
Laurent

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 8:14 PM Kurt Van Dijck
<dev.kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On di, 23 apr 2019 17:23:14 +0200, laurent vaudoit wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 7:23 AM Oleksij Rempel <o.rempel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > Hi Oleksij,

> > > this variant will never change, it is all about you to fix and maintaine it.

> > > this variant is work in progress for mainline. At this point you still have a chance to
> > > influence the UAPI, adopt your software to it and be able to use latest fixes.

> > >  >

> > > Be in sync with mainline is usually best choice at start of project and probably not so
> > > good choice at start of production.
> > i totally agree with this.
> > i've started looking more, and what i've seen is that the actual j1939
> > (from can-next) is based on can version 20170425
> > and the kernel we plan to use is based on 20120528 (kernel V4.9.
> > 88), so i'm wondering how difficult this can be to use the let's say
> > "futur mainline"j1939 stack on this kernel.
>
> My experience is that mostly things can be backported with minor effort.
> The internal API's tend to change, and some arguments in function
> pointer are added, so you need to remove those extras.
>
> maintaining and obsolete version is trivial at first, but will become a
> giant task.
> OTOH, my/your legacy version contained quite some bugs that have been
> identified and solved by now. It's hard to argue that this is today's
> best solution.
>
> > Except if there is some wor allready done on this base version?
>
> It's not that hard after all, the runtime api haven't really changed,
> but the underlying semantics have been made coherent now.
> This mostly implies that you have some re-testing to do.
>
> Keeping the legacy j1939 enforces you to stick to your current kernel
> version, and some day, that will be a problem, and you will switch
> anyway.
>
> Kurt

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]