Re: Function pointers to inline functions

Shriramana,

On 4/4/07, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello.

As per my understanding, an inline function is replaced in place by the
compiler with the body of the function, so it does not have a separate
location in memory in contrast with a regular function. This being so,
how is it possible to extract a pointer to an inline function and
effectively use it?

See the attached two examples. They work and though it's a good thing
for my project that I can extract a pointer to an inline function I do
not understand how it is possible.

Whenever you request a pointer to an inline function the compiler will
place a normal subroutine version of the inline's implementation in an
object file and return its address.  So, effectively, the function
pointer does not point to an inline function at all.

      \Steve

--

Steve Grägert <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jabber    xmpp://graegerts@xxxxxxxxxx