Re: Another bcache hang

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:52:27 -0500, Paul B. Henson <henson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah, that's true; using raid at the lvm layer allows you to selectively
choose redundancy as opposed to dropping the entire pv on top of an mdraid.

Not sure I understood that passage...

But in any event I'm working on a script I'm calling "md-3par" which will create a number of chunklets (aka LV) from a set of PV (contained naturally in a single VG) onto which to assemble a MD array of chosen geometry and redundancy level. Of course one can then additionally layer LVM, bcache, or (b)tier as desired. LVM is just a replacement for the archaic and inflexible partition table, IMO. Granted snapshots and thin-provisioning are nice to have.

I am disappointed that LVM is trying to expand into MD's territory. It's bad enough they had the LVM 'mirror' (IMO a sad effort, pitifully slow, and given it's unability to handle missing mirror members very much not useful) and an interleaved 'striping'. Simple concat/extension of course makes sense but the One True Faith of *nix is one simple tool to do one job and ONLY that job to the best possible. If they want to pretend to be ZFS-lite then just do ZFS already but keep it out of LVM. </rant>

--
NSA - subscribe to our Timeline and you'll know even before they've hit 'ENTER'

Decency, Security and Liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the governmnet will be imperilled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously.
 -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis (Olmstead et. al. v. United States)