RE: Block Size for Windows

> On 27/08/2012 21:18, Joseph Glanville wrote:

> where the output might be saved?

> >> Ok, so booting into the default Ubuntu kernel, the windows
> >> installation seems to progress just fine.
> >>
> >> Does this mean there is something wrong with the mdraid code in the
> >> bcache kernel?
> >>
> >> Actually, I'm not telling the whole story. The kernel I'm using is
> >> the
> >> bcache-3.2 tree (from evilpriate.org) with changes merged in from
> >> kernel.org's 3.2.27 tree. There were no merge conflicts when I did
> >> the git merge.
> >>
> >> What do you think I should do?
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> --
> > I would recommend booting with the raw bcache-3.2 branch before
> > applying the stable patches (even though they should be fine) and
> > trying to catch the panic.
> > This is easiest done with a serial port and setting it to the kernel
> > console on the kernel command line in grub.
> >
> > Joseph.
> Hi There,
>
> I can confirm that the problem occurs even when using the raw bcache-3.2
> branch from evilpirate.org. Just to clarify, I am trying to install Windows
> Server 2008 in a Xen HVM DomU, onto an LV which is on top of a MDRAID 10
> array. Using the bcache-3.2 kernel, the system reboots (after
> panicing) as soon as I click 'next' after selecting the drive to install windows
> onto. Using the standard Ubuntu kernel everything works as normal. This
> leads me to believe that there is an issue with the mdraid code inside the
> bcache-3.2 tree. I'd like to stress that I wasn't doing any bcaching during this
> test.

FWIW, i'm using the 3.2 patches applied to a Debian kernel with lvm on raid1 (not raid10) on bcache and it's all working fine since I changed to a 512 byte block size. I haven't done an install of 2008, just 2003, but there doesn't seem to be any problems.

> What should my next step be? Try and find a serial cable to capture the
> debug output?

Before tinkering with a serial cable, see if the system is alive enough to use netconsole - it can be a bit of a timesaver.

James