Re: Block Size for Windows

On 28 August 2012 08:02, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27/08/2012 21:18, Joseph Glanville wrote:

>>> Ok, so booting into the default Ubuntu kernel, the windows installation
>>> seems to progress just fine.
>>>
>>> Does this mean there is something wrong with the mdraid code in the
>>> bcache
>>> kernel?
>>>
>>> Actually, I'm not telling the whole story. The kernel I'm using is the
>>> bcache-3.2 tree (from evilpriate.org) with changes merged in from
>>> kernel.org's 3.2.27 tree. There were no merge conflicts when I did the
>>> git
>>> merge.
>>>
>>> What do you think I should do?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> in
>>
>> I would recommend booting with the raw bcache-3.2 branch before
>> applying the stable patches (even though they should be fine) and
>> trying to catch the panic.
>> This is easiest done with a serial port and setting it to the kernel
>> console on the kernel command line in grub.
>>
>> Joseph.
>
> Hi There,
>
> I can confirm that the problem occurs even when using the raw bcache-3.2
> branch from evilpirate.org. Just to clarify, I am trying to install Windows
> Server 2008 in a Xen HVM DomU, onto an LV which is on top of a MDRAID 10
> array. Using the bcache-3.2 kernel, the system reboots (after panicing) as
> soon as I click 'next' after selecting the drive to install windows onto.
> Using the standard Ubuntu kernel everything works as normal. This leads me
> to believe that there is an issue with the mdraid code inside the bcache-3.2
> tree. I'd like to stress that I wasn't doing any bcaching during this test.
>
> What should my next step be? Try and find a serial cable to capture the
> debug output?
>
> Thanks

The issue is probably in fs/bio.c, some of the bio splitting changes
could effect md without even having bcache in use.

Kent, I will try get a test box up running more recent code then the
stuff we run (which doesn't have said issue).

Joseph.

--
CTO | Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au
Phone: 1300 56 99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846