Re: Session management with NSM

On 9/4/2014 4:36 PM, J. Liles wrote:

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM, David Santamauro
<david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 9/4/2014 3:46 PM, J. Liles wrote:

        On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM, David Santamauro
        <david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:david.santamauro@__gmail.com
        <mailto:david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

                 2. Anyone who wants to create a client to persist jack
        settings is
                 welcome to do so, and this doesn't require any changes
        to NSM.
                 However,
                 it is unlikely to work with sample rate changes. Lots
        of programs
                 support runtime bufsize changes though, if that's what
        you're into.

             I would love to take a stab at this. Seems like something
        within my
             reach but if there is no option "start-before-others" or some
             priority client loading, this seems pointless.

        As long as no clients crash or otherwise freak out when you
        change the
        buffer size at runtime, then there's no need to enforce an
        order. The
        synchronization is only required in order to shutdown/restart JACK
        (which isn't necessary to change the buffer size)

    So then the assumption is that this "client" would only allow
    settings manipulation and not deal with starting/stopping jack at
    all. If so, then is there an exhaustive list of settings that can
    actually be changed without having to restart?

    I can't imagine one could change the device, e.g. without restarting.

Well, now we're getting back into all the reasons why JACK settings
should not be part of a session in the first place. For example, suppose
that you could change the device at runtime: Now you change sessions to
one that uses a different device--and nothing works, because the client
can't reach out into the physical world and plug your other interface
into everything.

Just 1 use case (one of a few I have):
 - sound card {a} snaked to separate recording room
- sound card {b} wired to local mixer, outboard synths and keyboards (for post recording/mixing enhancements effects etc.)

Everything is already plugged in. No software reaching out of the box to reroute cables.

... but I really don't think beating this dead horse is worth it.

The list you're looking for is here:

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ServerControl.html

thanks ... mea culpa. Sources are always important to consult.