Re: Session management with NSM

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM, David Santamauro <david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/4/2014 3:46 PM, J. Liles wrote:

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM, David Santamauro
<david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.santamauro@gmail.com>> wrote:

        2. Anyone who wants to create a client to persist jack settings is
        welcome to do so, and this doesn't require any changes to NSM.
        However,
        it is unlikely to work with sample rate changes. Lots of programs
        support runtime bufsize changes though, if that's what you're into.

    I would love to take a stab at this. Seems like something within my
    reach but if there is no option "start-before-others" or some
    priority client loading, this seems pointless.

As long as no clients crash or otherwise freak out when you change the
buffer size at runtime, then there's no need to enforce an order. The
synchronization is only required in order to shutdown/restart JACK
(which isn't necessary to change the buffer size)

So then the assumption is that this "client" would only allow settings manipulation and not deal with starting/stopping jack at all. If so, then is there an exhaustive list of settings that can actually be changed without having to restart?

I can't imagine one could change the device, e.g. without restarting.

Well, now we're getting back into all the reasons why JACK settings should not be part of a session in the first place. For example, suppose that you could change the device at runtime: Now you change sessions to one that uses a different device--and nothing works, because the client can't reach out into the physical world and plug your other interface into everything.

The list you're looking for is here:

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ServerControl.html

As you can see, setting the buffer size and enabling/disabling freewheeling mode is basically the extent of it.