Re: Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

On Tue, 13 May 2014, Peter Lutek wrote:

ok... looks like my non-rt kernel gives me a larger list of available governors (and, curiously, a lower maximum available CPU speed) than my rt kernel, which has only the powersave and performance governors as well as a higher max CPU speed. perhaps "performance" on the RT kernel will be best....

Hmm, do you have "boost" enabled in your bios? You may wish to turn it off as non-os control will change speeds on you if temperature gets too high. That may be why the top speed shows different. Boost is new on the intel chips, so if your system is even a year old, probably no boost.

I have not installed an RT kernel since 2.4 or 2.6 as the lowlatency kernel has allowed me good stable performance and still has all the drivers I have needed on any of my personal machines I have tested. The generic kernel is not good enough for me though.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net