Re: Realtime Privilege, WAS:Re: OT: what is happening with RT kernel development?

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 02:21:22 +0100, <jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 29-03-2013 21:14, Kaj Ailomaa a écrit :

this is simply because after you rebooted, your LT1010 became hw:0
instead  of hw:1 as it was before.

Indeed. The 1010LT is now card # 0. I would not have guessed that adding my user name to the group file would do such a change.

It didn't. Adding yourself to audio group let's you get realtime privilege as it is given to the audio group. You can see this in the file /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf. This was the only reason to become member of audio group.

You always need to specify which card you will run jack with.

Well, hopefully the system will remain as is, stable as it is. So as long as the 1010LT is # 0 it should be fine, and I'll save notes from this thread in my audio notes, just in case an update to packages or something changes the way the system behaves.

It is purely by chance that it is hw:0 now, and it will be each time you reboot.