Re: About Soundcloud

On 5/11/12 2:10 AM, Michał Koziarski wrote:
On Sat, Nov 3, 2012, at 10:28, Leigh Dyer wrote:

It's definitely an option, yep, but it's a trade-off -- that means
hosting twice as many files as you'd need otherwise, using twice as much
storage as you'd use otherwise. I've actually done that on my blog,
where I host a few of my own tracks, but when you have millions tracks
to host -- and to re-encode in to a new format -- it's easier said than
done.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

By the way, have you guys heard about the official.fm js implementations
of flac, mp3, aac and alac, http://labs.official.fm/codecs/ ? That looks
promising in principle, as a way to overcome the lack of browser codec
support. I tried it briefly though and their demos didn't work smoothly
at all, admittedly on a rather slow computer.

Yep, I've had a play with those -- it's awesome to think that JS is now fast enough to decode audio in realtime, but as you've discovered, it's not quite practical yet. On my PC, decoding MP3 in Firefox works well enough as long as you keep that window/tab in the foreground, but it starts skipping once you switch to another tab; my guess is that Firefox has some JS performance throttling that kicks in to prevent background tabs from using all of your CPU cycles.

Thanks
Leigh

Michał