Re: About Soundcloud

On 01/11/12 08:37, Peter Crighton wrote:
Only two comments to that for now:

1. The default Soundcloud widget is HTML5 since the beginning of the year.

It's worth noting that Soundcloud HTML5 player only actually uses HTML5 when the browser supports MP3, which is notably not the case in Firefox or Chromium (though Google's official Chrome builds do include it). If you open a Soundcloud stream on one of those browsers, it'll still use Flash.

At Bandcamp we have the same problem, and we currently solve it in the same way -- by using HTML5 on browsers that support it, and using Flash elsewhere. Switching to open codecs (eg: Vorbis) that are supported in Firefox is not a practical solution, since Apple and MS have so far refused to support them.

Personally, I'm really hoping the new Opus codec sees wide adoption among browser makers. I wouldn't normally be optimistic about an open codec gaining support from the likes of Apple or MS, but it's currently a mandatory part of the WebRTC spec, so there's some slim hope that we may in future be able to use one streaming format for all HTML5 browsers.

Thanks
Leigh