Re: About Soundcloud

On 3/11/12 12:43 AM, Michał Koziarski wrote:
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 22:39, Leigh Dyer wrote:

At Bandcamp we have the same problem, and we currently solve it in the
same way -- by using HTML5 on browsers that support it, and using Flash
elsewhere. Switching to open codecs (eg: Vorbis) that are supported in
Firefox is not a practical solution, since Apple and MS have so far
refused to support them.

Is it not an option to serve both formats to satisfy both vorbis and
mp3-capable browsers? Just curious about the perspective of someone
working in the area. I work as a web developer but my work doesn't have
much to do with audio, though I hope that will change one day.

It's definitely an option, yep, but it's a trade-off -- that means hosting twice as many files as you'd need otherwise, using twice as much storage as you'd use otherwise. I've actually done that on my blog, where I host a few of my own tracks, but when you have millions tracks to host -- and to re-encode in to a new format -- it's easier said than done.

Thanks
Leigh