Re: 24-bit files and hisss.... GOT IT

in my asound.conf i added a pcm.dmixer and added these options:rate 96000channels 6Then i added a pcm.!default pcm.dmixer line.
Now they play!  What's even better is that i actually seems to be *upsampling*!  Regular old 16/44.1 flac files have a lot more detail. Listening to them with the dmixer set up that way i can hear performers breathing.  It's not a subtle difference.  I asked my partner to come into the room and listen (with out telling her what i was switching off/on and she said "Wow! That one sounds so much more alive!"  This is something that is  normally reserved for multi-thousand dollar cd players and i'm doing it for nothing! I love you Alsa!
My avi movie files loose sound when i have the pcm.dmixer on, but big deal. i can just uncomment that default line and save the file. I've got the file open via screen+emacs so no big deal.
-- Bearcat M. ŞandorBearcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: bearcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: bearcatsandor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: bearcatsandorAIM: bearcatmsandor