Re: GP2X as a RealTime Audio generating device (was Re: status of ams)

Jay Vaughan wrote:
Ok, I'm currently running csound live on a P4 mobile 1.6GHz. Let's
call this soft synth index 100. What would you estimate the index of
GP2X to be? Just a serious, guess, I'm not gonna come after you if
your wrong :-)

I'd give it between 40 - 60, depending on what you're doing in CSound ..

Secondly, would there be any problems (if so which and could they be
solved) in getting 1) csound, 2) ams and 3) zynadsubfx running on
these things?

CSound: a cynch.

Ok you got my attention!

I read that it's a 2.4 kernel, right? From what I know (I run 2.6) 2.4 has really poor realtime performance out of the box. Do you know:

1) What patches have been applied to the kernel in gp2x?

2) How difficult it would be to replace the kernel with a recent 2.6

3) what latencies have you been able to achieve (with the break-out box for audio) with the supplied kernel? I'm not interested in hypothetical performance but real world examples.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quintet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk