Re: status of ams

Folderol wrote:

It gets nice results but seems a *lot* of effort to get them.

If you're not used to modular synthesis, yes. Plus don't have a stock of presets to load...

Also I'm
used to fully polyphonic synths (both hardware & software).

For the record ams is polyphonic, use -p when you start the program

3) If you ever tried what did you love about it and what did you hate? Did you find user friendly? Did it perform well?

Not at all user friendly - couldn't find any help information.

This wasn't the purpose of this thread, but for the record there are included example patches + http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/alsamodularsynth_doc.html

4) To rephrase 2): If the project was resurrected, what would it take for *you* to start using it.

Doubtful that I'd be interested actually.

Fair enough!

<snip>I'm interested in helping with bringing it to a state where it's a bit more usable...

Kudos to you if you do, but personally I'd be more interested in (what
you're already doing with) ZynAddSubFX :)

Well, first ams and zyn are quite different and would make a great combo. Secondly it seems that zyn has problems that go so deep a complete rewrite is needed for it to perform well in a jack/low latency/realtime environment. And such a rewrite is totally out of my league + the people that IMO could take on such a task choose not to, probably because of the size of the task...

This means that I (put harshly) have to consider zyn dying, whereas to me ams is more in hibernation...

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts!

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte