Re: Software suitable for children

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Brad Fuller wrote:

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 I've joined the squeakland mailing list and hope to learn more from the
 conversations there, and of course experimenting with squeak as well.

 I'm particularly interested in working with kids to build mechanisms using
 motors and relays, controlling them via computer, and integrating with
 images
 and/or sounds on the computer. I'm pretty happy with my hardware interface
 and
 construction methods (foam core, hot glue, motors from solarbotics,
 objects
 removed from discarded electronic equipment, which the kids help take
 apart,
 etc.) but I've been searching for an easy-to-use, free, Linux supported
 multimedia environment that would support this. Squeak might be exactly
 what
 I've been looking for. Would you have any final thoughts on where I might
 look
 sort
 of work with squeak?

 Thanks again for all your advice,
 Michael

Hmm... several people do work with squeak and robots, gumstix, etc.

Jon Hylands has done some work with robots and squeak.
http://www.huv.com/jon/

Ah yes. I thought the name was familiar. He and his brother Dave are quite
prolific in the robotic community, and extremely helpful.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote a book about "virtual" robots. Might be helpful
http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc

I would search through the squeak-dev list for what you are looking for:
squeakbot site:lists.squeakfoundation.org
robots site:lists.squeakfoundation.org

there's a lot there.

Excellent. Thanks. I'll report on progress.

Michael