Re: Software suitable for children

carmen wrote:
On Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 11:21:40AM +0100, Bengt Gördén wrote:
Hi,

One of my colleges asked me about Linux audio software suitable for children. I must admit that I never thought of that. Although I have children of my own. My children play with our small studio and if theres a problem I'm there anyway. But my college needs software that is more geared towards ease of use and in his case towards children (not that fluent in English) in the age of 6-7 years. So if you have any suggestion it would be appreciated.

git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/tamtam

Tamtam is a good one to look at and the OLPC is a good reference.
Here's the OLPC Wiki link:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tamtam

and the repo:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree

Along the same lines, while not Linux only and not only for audio but entire multimedia, you should definitely look into eToys. eToys runs in squeak, a Smalltalk-80 environment. eToys and other educational apps have been running in squeak and used in schools for many years around the world.

Here are some links:

Squeakland: http://www.squeakland.org/ - click on "What is Squeak" for a good overview

eToys on the OLPC laptop: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

Articles on eToys and education: http://www.squeakland.org/school/HTML/essays/essays.html

Some info for teachers:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree

Very good site for French speakers (or have google translate):
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Squeak_Education
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Category:Squeak_Education
specifically:
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Sons_et_Image_-_un_%C3%A9change_France-Argentine

Squeak main site: http://www.squeak.org/

If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Squeak is a rich environment and I think many here would find it engaging and fun. BTW, the latest Linux VM has an ALSA plugin.

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/