Re: Software suitable for children

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Brad Fuller wrote:

Along the same lines, while not Linux only and not only for audio but entire multimedia, you should definitely look into eToys. eToys runs in squeak, a Smalltalk-80 environment. eToys and other educational apps have been running in squeak and used in schools for many years around the world.

Here are some links:

Squeakland: http://www.squeakland.org/ - click on "What is Squeak" for a good overview

Brad, every once in awhile an application comes along that makes all the work we do seem worthwhile. I just installed squeak on my Ubuntu machine and was
instantly having fun. This will work wonders in my work with kids. Thank!

Michael

By the way, I'm working on some squeak morphics to manipulate music and output data via OSC (eg. envelopes, pianorolls, knobs).

It's a pity that the audio (an in general the multimedia) aspects of squeak have been left behind in recent development.

Ciao,

c.

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com