Re: Software suitable for children

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Brad Fuller wrote:

carmen wrote:
 On Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 11:21:40AM +0100, Bengt G�rd�n wrote:
>  Hi,
> > One of my colleges asked me about Linux audio software suitable for > children. I must admit that I never thought of that. Although I have > children of my own. My children play with our small studio and if theres > a problem I'm there anyway. But my college needs software that is more > geared towards ease of use and in his case towards children (not that > fluent in English) in the age of 6-7 years. So if you have any > suggestion it would be appreciated.

git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/tamtam

Tamtam is a good one to look at and the OLPC is a good reference.
Here's the OLPC Wiki link:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tamtam

and the repo:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree

I'm very interested in this topic as well, both for children and adults with a children's level of understanding (me). Tamtam seems wonderful, but as near as I could tell, it's still under development. Does anyone know if it, or a similar
program, exists now?

I couldn't understand the reference to "git". Is "git" the parent of tamtam? I
could find no reference to git on the web or rather, I found countless
references to the word "git" that had nothing to do with music :-)

git is a version control system that, apparently, the OLPC developers decided to use. I say "apparently" because etoys uses it too - although there is an yum repo too for etoys. Which, BTW is on the OLPC wiki site and allows you to quickly check out etoys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)

Thanks,
ichael

--