Re: Unable to start jack in real-time mode

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 at 13:38, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is it just as well to disable CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED in my kernel?
>
>  From what I understand this doesn't make any difference:
> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us:
>    A global limit on how much time realtime scheduling may use.  Even
> without CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED enabled, this will limit time reserved to
> realtime processes. With CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED it signifies the total
> bandwidth available to all realtime groups.

This is highly technical, but it could be read in a way such that
enabling this enables the whole group scheduling dynamic, and the
default is that all of it is allocated to root. If that makes sense,
disabling group scheduling would make the whole realtime bandwidth
available to "the system", and not limited to root, even if realtime
processes can still not use the whole system bandwidth.

I'm not quite able to wrap my head around the details here, so I'll go
for the sysctl solultion (at least for now).

Thank you so much Jeremy (and Chris)!
Arve