Re: Unable to start jack in real-time mode

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 16:55, Chris Caudle <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 24 2024, at 3:33 am, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe it's related to Real-Time group scheduling, see
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-rt-group.txt
>
> That certainly seems like a good possibility to investigate.
> This note is on that document page you referenced:
>
> Realtime group scheduling means you have to assign a portion of total CPU
> bandwidth to the group before it will accept realtime tasks. Therefore you will
> not be able to run realtime tasks as any user other than root until you have
> done that, even if the user has the rights to run processes with realtime
> priority!

That was it! Setting sched_rt_runtime_us to -1 allowed qjackctl to
start jack, and ardour seemed to start normally, thanks Jeremy!

Chris/Jeremy, reading the link, my previous values for the two
sched_rt_* settings in proc were the default values, but to make it
work I would have to "allocate realtime bandwidth" to the audio group
I think? Is it just as well to disable CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED in my
kernel? Or is the change in /proc I did now permanent?

Thanks again!
Arve