Re: Unable to start jack in real-time mode

Hello Arve,

On 24-01-2024 18:14, Arve Barsnes wrote:
That was it! Setting sched_rt_runtime_us to -1 allowed qjackctl to
start jack, and ardour seemed to start normally, thanks Jeremy!

Yes, good to hear it works again!

Chris/Jeremy, reading the link, my previous values for the two
sched_rt_* settings in proc were the default values, but to make it
work I would have to "allocate realtime bandwidth" to the audio group
I think? Is it just as well to disable CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED in my
kernel?

From what I understand this doesn't make any difference:
/proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us:
A global limit on how much time realtime scheduling may use. Even without CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED enabled, this will limit time reserved to realtime processes. With CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED it signifies the total bandwidth available to all realtime groups.

Or is the change in /proc I did now permanent?

No it's not, you will have to set it through sysctl by adding the following line to either an existing and fitting file or a new file in /etc/sysctl/sysctl.d/:
kernel.sched_rt_runtime_us = -1

It will then get picked up during boot. To activate this setting on a running system a `sudo sysctl --system` should do the trick.

Jeremy