Re: Setting up jackd2/jackdbus

Hi Will,
On 13/04/2023 21:31, you wrote:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:56:41 +0200
Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Bill,
forgotten to mention

On 13/04/2023 20:34, Bill Purvis wrote:
The idea is to have a startup script which starts jack, then qjackctl, then the organ software
(GrandOrgue).
I looked up the GrandOrgue Screencast video at YT. The organs could run with alsa without using jack
obviously. In that case it might be much easier to avoid jack. As long as I play only Pianoteq at
home I don't use Jackd and latency is fine nevertheless. As long as you do not use additional tools
of jack's ecosystem it might work for you.

Gerhard
I was wondering about this too.

If it *is* just a single synth then ALSA is all you need, and indeed takes out
a layer of buffering. Also I'd be inclined to run a distro that doesn't have
any other unnecessary stuff. i.e. no SystemD and no pulseaudio. KISS principle.
I certainly want to keep it simple, though it is a pretty complex requirement. We have several input devices - pedal keyboard, voicing stops, thumb pistons, etc. which are Arduino-based and need to be injected into the software. I already have code which can handle these (serial tty-like devices over USB) and can inject the MIDI events into jack, whereas my experience with ALSA is pretty minimal. I will certainly be getting rid of pulseaudio, and see no need to involve SystemD.

At present I'm running with the standard Ubuntu kernel, and will see if there is a need for the low-latency
kernel once I get it up and running.

My request was prompted by a day spent trying various things to get Jack/Qjackctl up and running. I'm currently running a laptop and two desktops, and had no problem getting Jack/Qjackctl to work, but this
one seems to be testing my patience.

Thanks to everyone for comments so far.

I'm away for the weekend, will resume testing next week when I get back.

Bill