Setting up jackd2/jackdbus

Hi folks,
I'm trying to set up a fairly minimal system as a dedicated Digital Organ.
I started with Ubuntu Mate 22.04, as that's what I normally use for my personal systems. During the install I requested a minimal system, no Office, etc. and ended up with what looked OK. However, When it came to setting up the audio side, I wanted to run Jack(D2/DBUS) and use Qjackctl for initial setting up. I'm hoping to dispense with Qjackctl once its all working, though the patchbay might keep it in. I want a system that comes up headless (normally) so the organist just switches on,
waits for a couple of minutes for it to start, then starts playing.

I'm having great difficulty in getting Qjackctl and Jack to start reliably, I've tried jackd2 and jackdbus (from the standard Ubuntu repositories) and Qjackctl nearly always fails with messages saying it can't contact jack: 'Server communications error, plesae check the message window for more info'. The window then says 'Cannot read socket fd = 36 err = Success' which seems contradictory!

If anyone can help I'd like opinions on whether I should be pushing for jackd2 or jackdbus.

The idea is to have a startup script which starts jack, then qjackctl, then the organ software (GrandOrgue).
So far it's a mess.
Someone must know what I need to do. I'm happy to collect any information and report back if you can
tell me what is needed.

Many thanks in advance!

Bill