Re: Setting up jackd2/jackdbus

Hi Bill,

On 13/04/2023 20:34, Bill Purvis wrote:
I'm trying to set up a fairly minimal system as a dedicated Digital Organ.
setBfree or aeolus?

I started with Ubuntu Mate 22.04, as that's what I normally use for my personal systems.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm working with Mint Mate and a low latency kernel
5.19.0-1017-lowlatency from the repository. Meanwhile all works well.

However, When it came to setting up the audio side, I wanted to run Jack(D2/DBUS) and use Qjackctl
for initial setting up. I'm hoping to dispense with Qjackctl once its all working, though the patchbay
might keep it in. I want a system that comes up headless (normally) so the organist just switches on,
waits for a couple of minutes for it to start, then starts playing.
Headless can you launch Non-CLI programs? I'm using jack2 and jackdbus and meanwhile all is working
well. I have one script to launch all. SetBfree, Pianoteq and others are running as lv2 plugins in
Carla, Midi goes into Konfyt (using filter capabilities and switching of programs with Program
Change messages) and from there into Carla. In Konfyt you can define persistent jack connections. In
your case Konfyt might be interesting but Carla seems not to be necessary for you are only using one
synth.

I'm having great difficulty in getting Qjackctl and Jack to start reliably, I've tried jackd2 and
jackdbus
(from the standard Ubuntu repositories) and Qjackctl nearly always fails with messages saying it can't
contact jack: 'Server communications error, plesae check the message window for more info'.
The window then says 'Cannot read socket fd = 36 err = Success' which seems contradictory!
I'm not an expert here. In the beginning I had to kill often jackdbus if something went wrong. Are
you using internal or external sound-card? Another hint from me (but no help at the moment) - for
low latency it was best to switch off the wifi radio. I used command

  $ nmcli radio wifi off / on

within the script. That reduced the occurrence of xruns.

The idea is to have a startup script which starts jack, then qjackctl, then the organ software
(GrandOrgue).
Ah, already the answer to my above question :-) You might find Aeolus interesting as well.

Sorry I can't give you dedicated help for the error message. Anyway, feel free to contact me
off-list in case anything of my setup interests you.

Gerhard