Re: Setting up jackd2/jackdbus

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023, Bill Purvis wrote:

I'm trying to set up a fairly minimal system as a dedicated Digital Organ.
I started with Ubuntu Mate 22.04, as that's what I normally use for my personal systems. During the install I requested a minimal system, no Office, etc. and ended up with what looked OK. However, When it came to setting up the audio side, I wanted to run Jack(D2/DBUS) and use Qjackctl

Tools for cli operation:
 - screen (or similar) This gives you a session that can be auto started
	at boot with one or more screens that auto start something.
	The bonus is that you can login via any commandline terminal
	like ssh for example, and reattach to the running session for
	remote trouble shooting. You could even have a curses based
	menu on one screen. (or just bash menu for that matter)
 - dbus-launch: If you need dbus for anything then this should be used
	to start screen (or whatever you replace screen with) That way
	any dbus aware programs will be talking to the same instance
	of dbus. Both jackd2 and jackdbus will try to talk to dbus.
	jackdbus will fail without and jackd will at least throw an error
	but should still run.
 = jack-tools: this is a package that installs extra jack command line
	tools for dealing with jack
 - jack_control: this is what you use if you are using jackdbus, it can
	set parameters as well as start and stop jack or find out jack's
	status
 - jackd: this is the command to use to start jackd if you are using that
	instead of jackdbus (I have no opinion one way or the other).
	Do note that if you use this, that screen will be locked as long
	as jackd is running unless it is back grouonded. Screen makes
	this a non-issue and leaving it forgroound may be a helpful
	trouble shooting aid.
 - jack_connect: allows connecting any jack port to any other jack port
	(out to in of course). This can be used manually or scripted
 - jack_disconnect: Disconnect a connection from an output to an input
 - jack-plumbing: Allows automating the above connections. For example
	can wait for your synth to startup and when it's ports appear in
	the jack graph, connect them to the output or an effect.

For a longer list, after installing jack-tools, go to your command line and type in jack and hit tab tab (or ls /usr/bin/jack* might be safer). You will get a list of jack utilities. Some of which you can find out more about with man, some you can <utility> --help or -h and some (like jack_control) you can type in with no parameters. Some of these tools (you may have jack-keyboard for example) need X to work. Some of these tools require dbus as well (I think).

Another thing you may like:
https://superuser.com/questions/1170136/translating-midi-input-into-computer-keystrokes-on-linux
This has some hints on how to use a midi input device to run commandline stuff from certain midi inputs. It might be easier though to get one of those usb number pads made for laptops and use that with a menu. The user does not have to be able to see the menu provided it is only one level. Sub menus would require some sort of display... keep it simple. You will need to rememeber that this can not run as part of your screen session because if you grab screen from a remote login you will loose access to it with your keypad. The menu will need to be run at boot time as some other user than root (same for screen, jackd does not run well as root)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net