Re: Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:10 AM Fons Adriaensen <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:17:01PM +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:

> I always assumed OSC  1.0 can be used over any transport, mostly I use TCP/IP,
> sometimes serial, so it would be good to know where this stated to argue that
> and
> why OSC 1.0 is only UDP ?

The problem with any transport that is just a stream of bytes is that it
complicates the OSC decoder. You have to feed it byte by byte, and it has
to remember its state until it gets the next byte if the packet is not yet
complete.

Of course if there are pauses between packets you could be lucky and
actually get complete packets from a TCP socket each time you read it
with a timeout. But that's inherently fragile and you can't rely on it.

Ciao,

--
FA

I do have some experience with open source JSON decoders over HTTP, which handles state while reading the stream. I do notice the Behringer Wing uses JSON for its OSC implementation.

Still, I also work a lot with udp for high volume applications and despite its shortcomings I would choose udp over MIDI if I had a choice. I get frustrated with midi often due to lack of universal MTC/MMC and note mappings support and moved into control voltage sequencing when my synths can do it ... ARP 2600 and Korg MS20M for example.

Robert