Re: MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

Title: Re: MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

On 01/04/2016 01:14 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
I used to have problems with the WiFi to my wife's laptop slowing greatly if we were heating anything in the kitchen microwave. I can't conceive of using something that fragile in a concert environment.
I'll have to think that there are lots of factors; we used to have an early 1980's microwave, huge and powerful, about six feet away from our WAP and there was never a problem.  Maybe the laptop's chipset was sensitive in unusual ways, or something.

And I have to agree, 2.4GHz wifi is dangerous right now...but not really with directional antennas, banks are still using 2.4GHz for ATMs across quite a lot of space outdoors, with directionals.  And there's always 5GHz...IR...UV...visible...:-)

The motivation for me is simple.  I have worn out too many USB ports to be happy about it!!!  I have thought of trying to throw USB over three 1/4" phone jack cables (using the extremely durable traditional Switchcraft hardware), but have thought that I would probably run into impedance, isolation, or something else hidden in USB.  I have also spent quite a lot of time looking for adapter combos which would let me use microUSB for the common detachments, but it seems that the parts builders just haven't had me in mind.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!