MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

Some may remember, I tried a full-court press on MIDI over wifi about eighteen months ago, using a couple of different methods; there were occasional losses in realtime play, enough key-up commands lost that it could not be used.  So I gave it up for then and eventually found a different use for my Rpi2.

But the prevalence of tablets as OSC+MIDI controllers, over wifi, has not ceased to nag at me.  I'm not interested in having a tablet -- my keyboard is all I need -- but I am very interested in configuring an RPI2 or equivalent in place of that tablet, so that I can wire keyboard to RPI2 and then go wireless to the synth.

Now if I understand this Wikipedia article correctly, SLIP is commonly used to encapsulate OSC signals.  This could be a great clue, because SLIP is very definitely a protocol which can give us verification and recovery of lost signals, i.e., signals lost in the normal wifi situation.  And I have seen the Pure Data method of converting OSC to MIDI and back, so that is not too much of a problem.  The question I have is, what would be the best method of verifying, configuring, and debugging SLIP encapsulation?  To do this well, for production on stage, I have not not only be able to checkbox on for SLIP, but trigger warnings if it detects a certain degree of errors.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3s now available!