Re: MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

yes, might be yours truly qmidinet (or ipmidi) on the stake here...

Any tool is designed for a purpose. None are really designed for low latency over wifi.

qmidinet/ipmidi never meant to be midi-over-the-air as far as for live, uncajed (faraday-wise;)) open, public-address or whatever situation, let's be certain... instead, it's always assumed an in-house flat or home-studio situation, for x-sake :)

I am not sure RTPMidi is that much better in this situation, at least latency wise. Probably better than TCP though.

when in doubt, get it all wired over good old and trusty ethernet-- i bet it might even go on par and even exceed old current-loop, cabled-midi timing specs :P

Even on an old 10M line. It would not be hard to put two cards in each end and set up failover too. I suppose two APs set to two channels could do the same for wireless.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net