Re: MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

For midi over a network have a look at

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_MIDI
 https://code.google.com/p/midikit/

Neither IP nor SLIP gives you any retransmission or guaranteed delivery,
you need TCP for that. As the article says, OSC uses UDP, which is a
minimal shim over IP. It just dumps the packet over to the other side
without any delivery check or retransmissions of lost packages.

OK.  So how do we get retransmission and guaranteed delivery?  Is there a best approach?  I might be able to set up Zmodem over TCP like we used to for downloads on terminals: two Zmodems should do great for guaranteed delivery (one upstream, one down), and Zmodem was known for smoothness of the stream and connection recoverability.  But I would really want the two Zmodems-over-TCP to replace the UDP, not encapsulate it, and Zmodem is such an old protocol that it might be extremely wasteful on modern wifi.

Along the way tonight I found this:

http://mido.readthedocs.org/en/latest/socket_ports.html

which looks quite intriguing, had never seen that before, seems like MIDI-over-TCP.  But I want to use high speed as infrastructure to allow for guaranteed delivery (the original MIDI spec is so extremely slow that this should be a slam-dunk!), and I haven't found that as a design feature in any code yet.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!